Home News “Unpardonable Crime, Act With Conscience”: Madras High Court Denies Bail To Accused...

“Unpardonable Crime, Act With Conscience”: Madras High Court Denies Bail To Accused Cops In Ajithkumar Custodial Death Case

custodial death torture ajithkumar temple guard police postmortem report

The Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court rejected the bail petitions filed by police personnel arrested in connection with the custodial death of 29-year-old temple security guard B. Ajithkumar in Thirubhuvanam, Sivaganga district.

Justice S Srimathy dismissed the bail pleas moved by Ananth, Raja, Prabhu, and Sankaramanikandan. The court directed the trial court to complete the entire investigation and trial in the custodial death case within six months.

Background of the Case

Ajithkumar, who worked as a security guard at the Madappuram Badrakali Amman Temple near Thirubhuvanam, was detained on 27 June 2025, based on a jewellery theft complaint filed by a woman identified as Nikitha.

He died the following day, 28 June 2025, while in police custody after being subjected to brutal assault during interrogation.

The post-mortem report documented 44 injuries on his body, pointing to extreme custodial violence. Video evidence that later surfaced also corroborated the violent treatment he was subjected to.

Amid widespread public outrage, the Madras High Court transferred the probe to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), treating the case as a custodial death.

CBI Findings and Charges

During Monday’s hearing, the CBI informed the court that the jewellery theft allegation against Ajithkumar had been closed due to lack of evidence. The missing jewellery had not been recovered, and investigators found no proof linking him to the theft.

The central agency said 94 witnesses had been examined and two charge sheets had been filed in the case.

The CBI charged multiple officials during the probe, including constables Prabhu, Kannan, Sankara Manikandan, Raja, and Anand, along with police driver Ramachandran. Senior officers were also implicated in subsequent filings, including then Manamadurai DSP N. Shanmugasundaram, then Thiruppuvanam Inspector Ramesh Kumar, Sub-Inspector Sivakumar, and Head Constable Ilayaraja, who are currently lodged in prison.

Earlier administrative action included the suspension of the Manamadurai DSP and the transfer of Sivaganga Superintendent of Police Ashish Rawat.

Court Observations

Opposing bail, CBI counsel Moideen Basha told the court that there was sufficient evidence establishing that Ajithkumar was beaten to death in custody and that granting bail could affect the trial.

Recording the submissions, Justice Srimathy made strong observations on custodial violence.

“Police personnel must act with conscience. If a superior officer orders you to assault someone, will you beat him to death? Why can’t you refuse? Tell your superior that you cannot act illegally. If action is taken against you, come to court — the court will protect you,” the judge said.

She further remarked, “The crime committed by the police in this case is an unpardonable offence. The remaining accused must be arrested swiftly. Who instructed the DSP? It appears the officer who gave the order is being protected.”

The judge also questioned whether action would be initiated against the complainant whose allegation led to the arrest, noting that a man had been beaten to death “for no reason.”

Bail Rejected, Trial Fast-Tracked

Stating that bail could not be granted until the investigation and trial concluded, the court dismissed the petitions filed by the arrested police personnel.

The Madurai Bench directed the trial court to complete proceedings in the Ajithkumar custodial death case within six months.

The case continues to draw attention as one of the most serious custodial violence incidents reported in Tamil Nadu in recent years.

Source: OneIndia Tamil

Subscribe to our channels on WhatsAppTelegram, Instagram and YouTube to get the best stories of the day delivered to you personally.