
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has taken cognisance of a complaint concerning jewellery major Malabar Gold & Diamonds following controversy over the company’s invitation to a social media influencer accused by critics of making anti-India remarks.
In a communication dated 20 February 2026, the Commission noted that the complaint alleged potential violations of human rights and directed multiple authorities to submit an Action Taken Report within two weeks. The notice was issued under Section 12 of the Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993.
The NHRC registry instructed the Joint Secretary (IS-I), Ministry of Home Affairs, the Secretary, Ministry of Corporate Affairs, and the Director General of Police, Kerala, to examine different aspects of the complaint, including regulatory compliance and public order concerns. The Commission observed that the allegations in the complaint, at a prima facie level, appeared to raise human rights issues warranting examination.
NHRC has taken cognizance against Malabar Gold and issued a notice.
They had started to think that they were too powerful to be touched….Thank you @KanoongoPriyank ji. pic.twitter.com/qcNcpiy1Ej
— Mr Sinha (@Mrsinha) February 20, 2026
Background
The development follows a public backlash against Malabar Gold & Diamonds over its Birmingham showroom expansion event held on 6 September 2025. The event, which featured actor Kareena Kapoor Khan, reportedly included Pakistani Instagram influencer Alishba Khalid among the invitees.
Social media criticism intensified after Khalid’s past posts, since deleted, circulated online. These posts had criticised India’s “Operation Sindoor,” described it as a “cowardly act,” and included slogans supportive of Pakistan. Some users also flagged earlier remarks attributed to her expressing indifference toward Indian followers.
The controversy quickly escalated online, with critics questioning the company’s vetting process for event invitees.
Company’s Legal Response
Amid mounting criticism, Malabar Gold & Diamonds approached the Bombay High Court seeking relief against what it described as defamatory social media content linking the brand to the influencer’s political views.
During proceedings on 29 September 2025, before Justice Sandeep V. Marne, the company’s counsel submitted that Khalid’s engagement had been handled by a third-party agency, JAB Studios, and was finalised before the Pahalgam attack and before her controversial posts surfaced. The company told the court it was unaware of her alleged anti-India stance at the time and had since severed ties.
The company further argued that the online campaign against it was a strategic attempt by competitors to damage its business during the festive season.
The High Court granted an ad-interim injunction directing social media platforms to take down 442 identified URLs and restrain further publication of the impugned material.
The legal move itself triggered further debate. The company was accused of attempting to suppress public criticism rather than addressing concerns about due diligence in selecting event participants.
Among the vocal critics has been social media user Vijay Patel (@vijaygajera), who publicly questioned the company’s actions. Patel later stated that a legal notice issued to him warned of possible detention in civil prison for up to three months for alleged non-compliance with the court’s order.
In posts shared online, Patel stated he was prepared to face legal consequences over the issue. Excerpts of the notice circulated on social media seek removal of his tweets and reference possible civil prison action, though the matter remains subject to legal process.
What the NHRC Notice Says
According to the NHRC communication, the complainant alleged that Malabar Gold & Diamonds had collaborated with a Pakistani social media influencer who had publicly mocked the Indian Armed Forces and criticised India’s counter-terror operations. The complaint further raised questions relating to corporate due diligence, cross-border financial compliance, and regulatory adherence under Indian law.
The Commission noted that the allegations, at the preliminary stage, appeared to involve possible human rights concerns and therefore warranted examination by the concerned authorities.
Officials have been asked to submit their Action Taken Reports within two weeks of receipt of the notice.
Subscribe to our channels on Telegram, WhatsApp, and Instagram and get the best stories of the day delivered to you personally.



